The overall responsibility to ensure public rights of way are available for the use and enjoyment of the public rests with the County Council as the Highway
Authority. Maintenance responsibilities are divided between the Council, landowners/occupiers.
The County Council is responsible for:
* Signposting paths where they leave a metalled road
* Waymarking along the route of paths
* Clearance of undergrowth i.e. natural vegetation growing through the path surface
* Maintenance of most bridges and ditch crossings
* Ensuring landowners and occupiers comply with their responsibilities
Landowners and occupiers are responsible for:
* Maintenance of stiles and gates
* Clearance of overgrowth i.e. vegetation growing from the sides or above
* Re-instatement of paths after ploughing
* Keeping paths clear of crops
* Making sure they don't obstruct paths in other ways
As there is no formal role for the Parish Council in the process, the best ways to report footpath issues is directly to County Council or via the Parish Paths Warden Scheme. Our contacts are Mr Tom Carr and Mr Alan Saunders. Tom Carr performs most of the maintenance work on the parish footpaths and on occasion is need of volunteers. If interested in volunteering, please contact
To properly identify the number of a footpath/bridleway please see Countryside Mapping.
Cleeve Prior Parish Council
19 Betjeman Rd
Stratford upon Avon
01789 414 461
Or use our contact form
Most Recent Minutes
Next Scheduled Meeting at the War Memorial Village Hall, Cleeve Prior: 13 June 2022.